Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The Emperor's Ostrich, now in paperback!



I’m thrilled to announce that The Emperor’s Ostrich comes out in paperback today. This novel has been so much fun to share with readers and students. The ridiculously goofy characters always make me smile, and the cow-ostrich romance never gets old for me. How could it? The course of Moo Love never did run smooth.

It’s been a blast sharing Ostrich in school visits, because it actually originated from a workshop I conducted with Mindess Elementary School in Ashland, Massachusetts, where a brainstorming exercise led to randomly chosen words, which we combined to create story ideas. As I’ve repeated that workshop around the country, sharing Ostrich with students, it’s been fun to prove that brainstorming and play aren’t ‘pretend writing.’ They’re the real deal. That’s where ideas come from.

The paperback edition, published by Square Fish, an imprint of Macmillan, features bonus content including an author Q&A, and the first chapter of The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place. More Julie Berry goofiness.


My two favorite reviews for this book call it “silly and elegant at the same time,” and “a Five Snort read.” I’m so proud. I hope you snort your way through it too. Here's a review from book vlogger Matthew Sciarappa that cracked me up:



And here, of course, is the trailer, featuring art by the brilliant Liz Starin:


Don’t bury your head in the sand! Order The Emperor’s Ostrich at your local Indie bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment