Friday, June 5, 2009

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman


A reverent tribute to The Jungle Book which moved me as much for its devotion to the beloved classic as for its affection for its characters. There's a boundless, ungovernable quality to the universe Gaiman conjures. It combines life, afterlife, other realms, and ancient legend, and while I imagine this aspect of the novel could incur criticism, it felt appropriate to me. Gaiman's universe is as brooding, savage, and ungovernable as Kipling's jungle. A novel filled with deep compassion; strongly praised and recommended. Reading The Jungle Book first is encouraged.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Julie, nice review I have been wondering about this book, I will take your advice and read The Jungle Book first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Coraline and just didn't love it. too dark I suppose. Which has made me reticent to read The Graveyard Book. On your recommendation, I just might give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete