Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Long Ago, On a Silent Night -- My First Picture Book

Today, my first picture book releases into the world: Long Ago, On a Silent Night, with illustration by the incredibly talented Annie Won.

It's published in hardcover (ISBN 978-1338277722) from Scholastic via their Orchard Books imprint, and is available at your local independent bookstore, or anywhere books are sold. 

Long ago, in a dusty barn, a mother took a child in her  arms, wrapped him snug, made his bed in the hay. He was her gift that Christmas Day. There's no sweeter gift than a life so new. My best gift, little one, is you.

Long Ago, On a Silent Night celebrates the love parents and families feel for the children who arrive in their lives like gifts from heaven. It links the love of every family with the love shining through the Nativity story.

I've always loved Christmas, with its magic and wonder, its tenderness and warmth toward children, all centering, as it does, on one precious baby.

Joseph at 5 days old with his
VERY young mom. 
When I became a mother for the first time, and brought my own first-born son into the world (and wrapped him in modern diapers and a onesie, thank heavens), Christmas took on a completely new meaning for me. Suddenly I could consider Mary's situation more knowingly. As I watched my extended family gather around to gaze in wonder at my baby son, it wasn't hard to imagine shepherds, wise men, and angels.


Baby Joseph
Like Mary, I didn't know how to be a mother at first. When my mother left, I wondered how on earth I would ever manage to care for a baby by myself. I didn't even know how to get through the day. What does one do, between feedings and diaper changes and naps? At a loss for better ideas, I danced. It was November, and I was already in a Christmas mood, so I listened to holiday music and danced with Joseph in my arms. We sang -- well, I did -- and though he couldn't yet smile, he clearly loved music. He lit up in particular when we danced to an upbeat bluegrass Christmas song, one of my favorites: "Christmas Time's A-Coming" by Emmylou Harris. It's gorgeous. (Give it a listen, below.) Ever since then, when that song shuffles up on my holiday playlist, it takes me back to those nervous, blissful days of new motherhood, getting to know my own little miracle.


In December of 2017, Joseph was nearly ready to leave the nest, and I was feeling all the emotions that go with that painful transition (not all of which, I confess, were adoring), and "Christmas Time's A-Coming" popped up on my iPod. It yanked me back like a tether to that long-ago Christmas, when this great big man was a tiny bundle in my arms. I realized how much he'd taught me about Christmas, and how much Christmas had taught me about loving him. So I wrote a poem about it. Dear friends encouraged me to submit it -- many who aren't moms, or don't celebrate Christmas -- which confirmed my hope that there was something universal, not denominational, about the message. Scholastic bought it, Annie Won illustrated it with loving care, and now, here we are.

Baby Joseph at 6 months
Reviewers have embraced it thus far. Kirkus calls it "Joyful, joyful," saying "Berry’s debut picture-book text offers readers moving, graceful verse in the voice of a present-day new parent linking the birth of a child with Jesus’ birth." Booklist says, "Won's bold pictures are full of energy and delight, and tiny touches—stars here, wind chimes there—add to the appeal. These families, transcending race and skin color, radiate love."

I hope Long Ago, On a Silent Night will find its way to new and not-so-new families, and help them to remember, feel, and express the love that filled their hearts and homes when a new child entered their family -- however and whenever that arrival occurred. I hope it will join other classics in people's Christmas picture book collections. I hope you'll love Annie's art as much as I do.

Merry Christmas.

P.S.:  Look for me at any of the festivals or signings I have scheduled this fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment